Are you a school located in Bucks & MK who is looking at opening facilities outside the normal school day (before school, afterschool clubs, evenings, weekends and holidays) to allow young people more opportunities to be physically active. Then this fund can help to support you to do this.
Background of the fund
Sport England have announced that £10.1 million of Department for Education funding (DfE) will be invested into the Active Partnership network to:
- To help develop extracurricular opportunities and community links for children and young people.
- Support schools to open and re-open their facilities to the local community.
In July 2019 the DfE, DCMS and DHSC published the School Sport and Activity Action Plan (the Action Plan). This Action Plan was a joint commitment to ongoing collaboration at national level to ensure that sport and physical activity are an integral part of both the school day and after-school activities. Opening School Facilities phase 2 programme supports this commitment and Leap are responsible for the delivery of this programme across Bucks and Milton Keynes.
How this fund and Leap can support you?
Leaps role is to provide support and investment to schools to help deliver after school provision to help young people reconnect, recover and return to play. We will also look to support schools to help open or reopen their facilities to the local community, as local evidence suggests that schools are community hubs where people feel safe.
Priorities of this fund
We want to particularly focus on schools that fit under any of the below criteria:
- Located in or catchment school for one of Leaps 30 priority areas. Priority will be given to schools located in our top 10 priority wards.
- Schools with high percentage of free school meals
- Schools looking at engaging the pupils who are least active and or SEND pupils.
Primary, Secondary & Special Schools will be eligible to apply for this funding as well as community organisations working with these schools. We foresee funding the following types of applications:
- Secondary School, Special Schools (After school provision)
- Primary, Secondary & Special schools opening up facilities to the wider community (Including lettings)
- Schools with swimming pools
The finer details
- The maximum that can be applied for is up to £5000
- The programme will run from April 1st 2021 – 31st August 2021.
- Funding has to be committed by the end of August, projects can be delivered after this date but must start by the 2nd week of September 2021.
- Please read in detail the FAQ document on what we can and cannot fund before applying. Please note that this fund cannot pay for capital costs.
- Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and we are planning to let applicants know within 10 days the result of application.
What we need from interested schools and community organisations?
We are asking for schools/community organisations interested in accessing funding and support from Leap to do the following:
- Complete online application, please click here
- If approved, complete monitoring and evaluation as part of the programme (TBC by Sport England & Leap)
For more information about the fund or to run through an idea that you may have feel free to contact Rhiannon Smith, CYP Project Manager on email@example.com